Women’s Success Mindsets: Successful Leaders Think Differently
Today, we see more and more women in middle management. However, we still see more men than women in the top ranks, despite women being equally skilled and experienced, and doing the exact same work. Even when women do ask for a promotion to leadership, they make the following mistakes:
- they set lower targets for themselves.
- they tend to accept the first offer and are hesitant to negotiate a better deal.
- they undervalue their work.
In addition, key decision makers, realizing that women devalue themselves, might not groom women or consider them for leadership roles. After all, they don’t believe women are going to say or do anything about it. Women accept being undervalued, underpaid, and under-employed. Unfortunately, I’ve seen this first hand with a number of my clients. What keeps them stuck? The thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, assumptions, and conclusions they tell themselves about how much they are worth and what they are capable of doing. This, in turn, has a direct impact on just how much (or how little) they can earn and how often they are promoted to a leadership role.
Take, for example, many of my leadership coaching clients. As a result of going through my coaching and training programs, they realize that one of the negative, dis-empowering messages they grew up with was: “Women don’t need to worry about earning a healthy living. They marry, start a family, and have husbands who take care of them.”
While that may be what their mothers experienced, their well-intentioned parents did not realize the negative impact these myths have on their daughters. Repeatedly reminding their daughters that “women don’t need to worry about earning a robust income” ends up being very defeating and destructive. To counter this, AdvantEdge Success Coaching programs focus on more than just skill sets. We target Women’s Success Mindsets too. Women leaders who hire me as their coach realize that this and other beliefs are totally inaccurate and unhelpful. They keep them from getting promoted to senior leadership roles.
Sometimes, even self-assessments and the resulting self-awareness, skill-building workshops, powerful coaching, and other efforts do not work to eliminate these self-limiting beliefs. Long-held, automatic thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, assumptions, and conclusions are often deeply embedded in your mind. They occur to you in lightening speed and without you even being aware of it. This causes women to struggle as business owners. It keeps them from getting promoted to higher levels and earning a healthy living. Other negative, dis-empowering, self-limiting thoughts and beliefs I see in my work with women are:
- I’m just a … (fill in the blank with your occupation/title). I don’t think I’ll ever be a leader.
- If you want to get ahead, you have to work extremely hard to prove yourself. And, then you burn out.
- As soon as you get the promotion, you have to work your butt off until you lose your work-life balance.
- If only I were a man, I could lead that team/division.
- You have to be extremely smart to get recognition. And, I don’t like to boast.
- I don’t know if I can handle more responsibility.
We create these and other stories about ourselves as a result of what we see, hear, and experience growing up. Unfortunately, those mindsets can prevent you from being successful as an adult. So what can you do? Take these steps to change your negative, dis-empowering, non-supportive mindsets into positive, empowering ones that propell you forward:
- Identify your own negative, dis-empowering, self-limiting thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, assumptions, and conclusions (what you tell yourself about what it takes to be successful, your mindsets)
- Recognize that while these thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, assumptions, and conclusions may have been true for your parents, they no longer serve you
- Let them go by challenging them with opposing positive, empowering mindsets
- Identify what you do want and rewrite your mindsets
- Continue to take action steps that prove your new thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, assumptions, and conclusions (mindsets) to be true…
AdvantEdge Success Coaching offers several audio-recordings to help you do all of this. Because the recordings contain several powerfully transforming affirmations regarding success, they will automatically replace your negative, self-limiting thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, assumptions, and conclusions. As you listen to the recordings repeatedly, you will be reminded of your new mindsets. Before you know it, you will quickly and easily take small daily actions so that your new mindsets become your reality!
For example, my client Joan worked diligently through the steps in my program to make some powerful changes. Within three months of ongoing breakthrough coaching, she was finally able to remove the blocks that had been holding her back. And, with her new mindsets, she began speaking up, setting limits, and developing other assertive communication skills. She gained courage, confidence, credibility, and composure. She also developed excellent listening, motivation, and other leadership skills. As a result of working with me, she began to adopt Women’s Success Mindsets:
- I am successful because I’ve worked for it and deserve my success. I’ve earned it.
- Unless I continuously share my skills, talents, goals, and accomplishments, people won’t be aware of them. So I let those who can advance my career know about them.
- Every day, I am finding ways to showcase my talents.
- Whatever challenges come my way, I can still “act as if” I’m the secure, self-affirming, confident person I was meant to be.
- I know enough. I can do it.
- I really can lead other without a lot of struggle and strain.
You can adopt Women’s Success Mindsets too. With the help of executive coaching and our leadership development audio-recordings, you can re-wire your mind with empowering new mindsets and find the success that you’ve been searching for a long time. Stop struggling and start thriving! Click below for more information about our powerfully transforming leadership development audio-recordings!